Tuesday, September 22, 2015

How to help your writing, by just going to school!

For many young writers, and experienced writers, life gets too busy, and there is no writing done, whether it be because of no new material, no time, or exhaustion,  there is still a way to write during your busy schedule. As a highschooler, my writing suffers when I go back to school and have no time to write and no time to brainstorm, but it doesn't have to be that way.
I was sitting in English class the other day and my teacher started to talk about writing. And it hit me. Why should my writing suffer when I have new material around me all the time. How does that make sense? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't. Look at the people around and see all that material? All those ideas you could never dream to come up with on your own? Use them!

Ways to use school, or any other activity, to help your writing:

- Like I said above, use the material given to you. People are all different and yet they still are able to react with each other. Write about interactions with other people, reactions to different situations, even just what they had for lunch.

- Use any time to write. Got extra time in a class? Write! The bus ride home? Write! It doesn't have to be good. It doesn't have to be amazing, just an outline even.

- Pay attention in English class (this one is pretty much just for school, sorry guys) You think I'm joking? What publisher is going to publish a writer who doesn't have any clue what a sentence structure is? Or how to use writing techniques? Come on guys! Prove to the teacher, and yourself that you know how to write!

- Bounce ideas off the people around you. You're with people, you may as well bounce ideas off of the readers. Believe me, there is always atleast one big reader in every large group, find them, and talk to them.

- Peer editing. Use the people around you, your Friends or coworkers to peer edit. They don't have to read the whole thing, just a snippet or a sentence you've been struggling with. You'll be amazed at how much other people can help your writing.

This list may not be long but it could change your writing for the better if you do it every day.

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment