Friday, January 15, 2016

Book Review: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson is the story of a girl named Lia who is anorexic and struggling to understand the world around her. When her ex-best friend dies, she starts to slip back into the world of crunching numbers in order to be a 'perfect' girl but her ex-best friend's death is not the only thing haunting her. Her divorced father and mother, the mother who pushes her too far and the father who pushes her too little, are talking about her again, reminding her of all of the yelling that led up to a divorce she might never recover from.
Even though this is not something I would usually read, it is amazing. I could not put it down. Lia is a smart girl, and Anderson shows that as she weaves you through Lia's life and story. I'm going to be honest, it was hard to stomach some of the things that happen in this book, but it isn't so terrible that I had to stop reading it. I really like the way Anderson chose to tell this story, but I thought the motel guy (you'll have to read it to find out who I'm talking about) was pushed away, like she ran out of ideas for his character.
Comments, questions, and suggestions for books are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment